Windy Wellington
Well it seems that I have learned one very important thing about this fine city. They don't call it Windy Wellington for nothing. On most days, the weather treats us pretty good. On other days, the wind can literally blow you off of your feet. It is fairly common that you find yourself walking or driving crooked when the wind strikes. When you throw in some good ol' fasioned rain, you are being pelted by a very strange sideways wall of water. Though this has not happened frequently, it has reminded me that being on the other side of the world has some serious reprocussions. The clouds sit MUCH lower on the horizon here, and the hills are almost always covered in a beautiful layer of fog. It certainly keeps us on our toes, the weather changes SO much more frequently here than at home. Doug has also reminded us that this is a land that experiences earthquakes, volcanoes and serious storms. What great fun :) (a small hint of sarcasm there).
Besides the weather, we are keeping really well. We went to Karori Baptist Church this morning with Hendrine, and it was really good. I was happy to find out that every song was familiar and the people were very friendly. We haven't decided yet if that's the church for us, but we have certainly placed it on the list. We sang two of my favourite contemporary songs, "Blessed be Your Name" and "Everyday" and I was instantly reminded of playing a little guitar with my favorite person (that's my nickname for Christine for those of you that don't know). It is really nice to have things that are familiar, it makes the change more easy and less stressful. Though we know we will never find another First Reformed (our true home) we feel we will fit right in here.
One cool thing about our flat: they have the most beautiful Calla Lilies growing right outside of our front door. I smile everytime I see my favourite flower outside, they are SO pretty. Here's a pic...(can you tell I'm a bit obsessed?)
Well, anyway, that's all for now!
Yolanda

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home