Changes
As many of you already know, there has been a slight change of plans for Paul and I. We had found ourselves in a sticky situation, and had to make a decision. The end result is the fact that I have pulled out of teacher's college. I know this may come as quite a shock to many of you, but I'm hoping that once you hear the explanation you will be supportive and encouraging of this big change.
Reason #1
We had found ourselves extremely tight on money since we arrived in New Zealand. We knew that we would be rather poor (as all students are) while we finance my education, we just didn't realize that it would be quite so bad. New Zealand living expenses are far higher than anticipated, and we didn't have a lot of other options. Since we already had a loan from every imaginable source, we knew that we couldn't borrow any more money. Plus, borrowing money seemed as though it would only make matters worse...because it would drive us further in debt (not that we plan to be rich anytime soon! :) So, the refund of the tuition fees was a way to remedy our problem. It will help us to climb out of debt sooner and help to support us while we remain in New Zealand.
Reason #2
I was growing rather unsatisfied with school. On most days, I enjoyed being a student and loved learning about children, as this remains to be my passion. However, I did not enjoy the practical aspect of my training, and have realized that the classroom is really not my true calling. I found myself feeling sorry for all of the students who were left out of the all-too-standardized teaching methods. Everyday classes are catered to helping the average student, but not the children who need the most help. .This usually occurs because of the simply fact that teachers have 30 kids and just don't have time to fully individualize their practice. On top of that, I just couldn't bear the fact that I was teaching in a system where I'm not allowed to talk about that which is most important to me...my faith. I don't like being in the educational atmosphere where God is considered taboo or politically incorrect. Many would ask..."so why don't you just teach in a Christian school?" and my answer is simple. Kids in a Christian school will have already heard the good news...I also want to help the kids that don't know Jesus!! The end goal right now is to open a centre for children who require additional assistance outside of school. The service would be free or income-based so that low-income families would be able to make use of it. I'm hoping to remain affiliated with a church so that this service can act as an outreach program as well as an being academically educational.
So, since I pulled out of school, we had to make a few changes. The new plan is as follows. I'm going to get a job, and we will remain in New Zealand for their summer time (Christmas) and come home a bit early. We are thinking that we will be home sometime in April, though our plans may change yet. I even have a few job prospects set in place for my return. Though I haven't made any decisions, it's great to know that I have options. I won't get into any details just yet...but I'm very excited about what God has in store for us!

2 Comments:
Sounds like you guys have had a lot of thinking to do lately! Yo, I'm glad that you're starting to find a focus for your love of working with kids - God's blessings as you begin a new journey! (PS I loved seeing the photos of your new living space - looks like quite the place)
With love from the Wet Coast. :)
4:39 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
4:40 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home