Tuesday, September 05, 2006

teaching

Well, it seems as though I am well on the way to becoming a teacher. I have been in my teaching placement for the past couple of weeks, and I am really enjoying it. It has been a bit stressful and exhausting at times, but for the most part it is quite rewarding. I do love working with five-year-olds, yet I think that I would personally be better suited to an older age group. My associate teacher (the kid's real teacher) has been absolutely fabulous, and I feel extremely blessed thus far. Today I survived the most nerve wracking aspect of teacher's college - the observation! My visiting lecturer observed me teaching two lessons and working with a small group of children in reading. I was so nervous to have another adult in the room who was there to watch me instead of the children. Besides my jitters, the morning was extremely successful. Receiving all positive feedback and encouragement, I was feeling well assured. It was really great to have someone validate the strategies that I have adopted in the classroom and to even provide me with some suggestions to use in the future.
Only 3 more days left on my teaching block, and then it's back to teacher's college. It is awfully hard for me to decide what I would rather be doing. I do love being a student, it has always been a positive experience for me. At the same time, I'm really enjoying being in the classroom with the students and learning first hand what it is like to teach. However, I'm even more excited for break! I get two weeks off at the end of september...can't wait!
Over the past few weeks I have realized that my passion for teaching may not be fully experienced within the very small walls of a classroom. I have alwaysloved working with children and youth and have been determined for a long time to eventually work in this capacity. I'm not entirely sure at this point if I want to be a classroom teacher. I love teaching, but I am not too fond of the public education system or it's practices. I'm hoping that I will learn exactly what I want to do with my teaching degree, and I pray that I will be able to use my learned knowledge in conjunction with my spiritual gifts to somehow become involved. My current passion is for children who require additional assistance, and I would love to look into how I can minister to children and youth who require additional assistance. I'm not too sure what this will end up looking like in the next few years, but I know that God will continue to provide for us as we discover what He has planned!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Hey Guys,

Wow, I love this blog thing. It's like you get to be a part of each others adventures! Yo, I'm sooo glad you are enjoying your placement. Isn't it great to finally get some practical experience? And put your knowledge to work? It's funny, I often wonder if a regular, 4 walled classroom is for me. I'm not sure I could just settle into a DSBN grade 4 for the next 20 years. There are so many other ways to use skills with children. I totally understand. Well, all the best, I wish we were closer so we could visit!

Rach

6:58 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Sounds like the classroom placements have thus far been great learning opportunities. That is in both practical teaching skills, and in simply learning more about who you are and your God given passions. I'd love to explore the "outside the 4 walls" teaching opportunities that might be out there for you. errr, well help you find one that's a fit... though you know my first suggestions. Lol. anyways, love ya lots.

8:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home