Saturday, January 27, 2007

Our South Island Trip

Well, this is our first post in a while, and my first post in an even longer while. For the past week, from the 22nd to the 27th of January, Yolanda, my dad and I went and did a tour of the south island. 2250ish km, about 25 hrs of driving, and a ton of experiences later, I come to give you all this post.




This was our mode of transportation as well as lodge. It was a "Salvadore Dali" Escape rental. Yo and I slept most nights in the van, and my dad had a tent borrowed from our flatmates.






For those who know who Salvadore Dali was, notice the droopy clocks on the back door. All of Escape's vans are theme painted by NZ artists. They are really neat, and we saw a whole bunch of them on our endeavour.







We saw a lot of really neat things on our drives. Our first drive took us across the island, through mountains and under streams. In the picture to the right, you can see a wierd looking bridge, that is so if there is a landslide (slip, as they say here), it just goes over the highway.










In the foreground you can see a smaller bridge-like thing. That was to make the stream go over top of the highway.










These are some pics of our trip on Fox Glacier. It was absolutely breathtaking.

Top: Living on the edge.
Above: Dad needed a break after all those stairs.
Left: A fifty year old piece of crystal clear ice.
Bottom: Living on the edge, literally.
Below: Our guide, a sherpa. I'm not kidding.

Here is just a plethera of pics that we took. We took a lot. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, I don't feel like typing, so here you go;












Well, I hope you enjoyed a minor glimpse of everything we saw and did. Needless to say it was an experience we'll never forget.

So, we come home in 2 weeks. I'm glad we managed this trip of wonderful beauty and scenery before we come back to flat Niagara. Just joking. Sort of.

See everyone soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

looks awesome guys. glad you had one last adventure. it'll be tough to come back to the 'regular life' eh?
too bad i won't be able to see you when you get back. cool about Cadbury World NZ!

6:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home